Friday, February 20, 2015

20 February 2015 - Day 67 - Pre-drywall Meeting, House Appraisal and a couple of other things

Hi all,

It's been a couple of days since I've posted anything.  Progress has been somewhat slow the last few days due to all the snow and very cold temps. The Hampton Roads, VA area seems to shut down at the first site of snow. 

NVRM must have already ordered the appraisal as I received it this week. Everything looked great and the house appraised for more than the purchase price. Great news. Last order of business is getting the home insurance squared away. My plan was to try out Westwood Insurance (a Ryan Homes partner) however after correcting the square footage from 3200 to 3263, the yearly premium jumped from $824 to $970. I can't see an increase of $150 for just 63sqft. Anyone recommend good home owners insurance company?

Anyway, so today we had our pre-drywall meeting, I wasn't sure if I was going to attend this as I just had surgery 17 hours earlier. Luckily I felt good enough to get out of bed to attend. As we got there, a flatbed truck was unloading a ton of Sheetrock. I also had a private inspector accompany us so he could inspect the premises. 

During the inspection we caught a couple of things. For instance a couple of loose 2x4s, footer hangers not nailed properly, CAT 5 cable was pinched bad-possibly torn, outdoor speaker wiring too high, Tyvek torn between loft and porch ceiling, ducting not sealed with adhesive, loose subfloor at second floor stair landing and some nuts missing off threaded rebar that secures the framing to the foundation. Nothing too serious and the private inspector did mention that they had done a great job building the house.... But hey, an extra set or two of eyes helps to catch things before it's too late. 

Day 65

Day 65 panorama 


Side garage entrance

Crawl space

Some of the missing lateral 2 x 4's that will get fixed up. 

Master bath sink plumbing. I think the 3rd water line on the left is to control hot water temp. 

Kitchen on the left, family room on the right 

Family room on left, morning room in the center, and kitchen on the right

Master Bedroom - sitting area on left leading to closet and master bathroom on right. 

Master bedroom - sitting area on right and master bath on left

Laundry room plumbing

Dryer vent duct

Ryan Homes sure does seal up everything. I just wish they would put some sound proofing or insulation around the plumbing in the facility room and kitchen ceiling. 

Anyone want a 25 gallon ice cube?








2 comments:

  1. Hello, Chris. First, let me say how thrilled I am to have discovered your blog, as my family and I are also building a Rome in Fredericksburg, VA, and your home construction is much further along than ours! It's just exciting to see someone else's progress, so we can look forward to the same experiences. :)

    I wanted to offer a suggestion for a home insurance policy. When I read your quote of $970 for 3,263 sq. ft., I thought to myself, "that can't be right!" Don't get me wrong; I'm not at all versed in insurance policies, but to give you some perspective, the quote I received from AAA Mid-Atlantic/Keystone was $656 (annually) for a little over 4,500 sq. ft. with a $500 deductible. I'm sure the area in which you reside has an impact on the premium, but I cannot imagine Hampton Roads being more of a risk than the northern Virginia area. The only caveat is that you would have to be a AAA member AND I also have an auto policy with them, which I'm sure offers a discount toward my home insurance policy. But for what it's worth, it may be worthwhile for you to look into this further.

    I wish you and your wife the best of luck and I look forward to seeing your beautiful new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne... It's amazing the difference between insurance policies through different companies. I've received quotes ranging from $800 - $1800. We had to adjust our original quote for 125% replacement value rather than 150%... that ended up lowering our policy to $830.

      Good luck on your build... the Rome Plan is amazing... you guys will love the layout.

      Delete